lunes, 24 de junio de 2013

The Zenit, the Nadir and the Moon at its Perigee.

Fig. 1. Detail of a nautical chart of the Arctic Ocean. Source: Raquel Somavilla

Hay algo romántico, supongo que por eso de la aventura o de poder encontrar un tesoro pirata, en una carta náutica. Siempre me han encantado, pero más aún desde que estudie Navegación Marítima en la Universidad. Sí, eso es algo que se estudia en la Universidad también, como cualquier otra carrera, y como digo en mi pequeña introducción del blog he hecho un montón de cosas. Y lo cierto es que antes de estudiar Ciencias del Mar y hacer mi doctorado en Oceanografía, también estudie Navegación Marítima. Es algo que nunca estuvo en mis planes, pero las cosas surgieron así, y el hecho es que me gustó. Entre las asignaturas que más me gustaron está Navegación Astronómica. ¿Por qué me acuerdo ahora de esto? Pues porque hace tan sólo un par de días la luna ha estado es su perigeo, lo cual significa que ha estado a la distancia más corta de la tierra a la que se encuentra durante el año. De ahí, que al estar más cerca nos haya parecido visiblemente más grande. 

There is something very romantic in a nautical chart. I guess it exudes some kind of adventure feeling or that if you follow correctly you will find the Pirate’s treasure. They have always attracted me, but even more since I studied Maritime Navigation in the University. Yes, that is something that you can also study in the University as any other bachelor degree, at least in Spain. The point is, as I say in the short introduction of the blog, that I have done a lot of things, and this is one of them that I did before to study Marine Science and do my PhD in Oceanography. In fact, it was never in my plans, but things went like that, and the true is that I liked. Among the subjects that I liked the most is Astronomical Navigation. Why do I suddenly talk about this? Well, because just a pair of days ago the Moon was in its Perigee. It means that it was in its closer position to the Earth during the year. Because it was closer to us, we could have the impression that it was bigger than normally. 



A full moon rises over Jackson, Miss., Saturday, June 22, 2013. (Source: AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Morning Moon Set in Florida. Source: Jessie Adair
The moon rises above the North Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, as the last rays of setting sun illuminate the City by the Bay, San Francisco, CA. Source: RichardStreet

La cuestión es que ese nombre ‘perigeo’, me ha traído a la mente un montón de otros términos que se usan en navegación astronómica y que me parecen preciosos: Cenit, Nadir, Todos estos están relacionados con lo que se conoce como Esfera Celeste. Como me gustaba perder el tiempo dibujando mis esferas celestes en los apuntes! A ver si cuando vaya a Santander encuentro mis apuntes y le hago una foto a una de ellas para subirla al blog. También recuerdo aquel examen de 2 horas de teoría + descanso + 4 horas de práctica (problemas) en los que los enunciados decían cosas como: ‘Se toma Azimut de aguja de la estrella polar …’ …’El almicantarat del astro es a …’. La conclusión era, si no recuerdo mal, que necesitabas tomar datos durante dos días para tener una posición verdadera del buque. ¡Qué difícil y qué romántico era antes navegar! 

The matter is that this term ‘perigee’ has brought to my mind a lot of other terms used in Astronomical Navigation and that I found really beautiful: Zenit, Nadir, Almicantarat, Azimut, ... All of them are related with what is known as the Celestial Sphere. How much I liked to spend time drawing celestial spheres in my notes! Let’s see whether when I will be in Santander (that is my home town) I can find my notes and make a photo of one of these celestial spheres for the blog. I also remembered the long exam (2 hours theory exam + break + 4 hours practical exam) in which the wording of the problem said things like ‘We take Azimut from the North Star …’ … ‘The celestial body Almucantarat is at …’. The conclusion was, if I remember correctly, that you needed to take data for two days to get a ‘real position’ of the ship. How difficult and romantic was navigation in the past!


Hay algo parecido que os guste especialmente? 
Is there something like this that you especially like?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Muchas gracias por tu comentario.
Many thanks for your comment.

Raquel